1. You will have access to sole source/non-competitive federal contracts with a value of:
- $4M and under for all services related contracts.
- $6.5M and under for manufacturing related contracts.
2. You will have access to competitive set-aside federal contracts with a value of:
- $4M and over for all services related contracts.
- $6.5M and over for manufacturing related contracts.
A search of FPDS (Federal Procurement Data System) found that between 10/2/2016 to 9/30/2018 there were 138,191 contract actions totaling $28,073,890,492.96 awarded in the 8(a) program.
3. You will severely limit your potential competition.
- There are less than 6,100 active 8(a) participants (As of April 2019) in the entire 8(a) Program.
- The big-guys (Lockheed Martin, CSC, EDS, Halliburton, etc.) cannot compete for these contracts.
4. It is easier for your federal prospects to buy from you.
- 8(a) contracts require much less paperwork, time and bureaucracy than most other federal procurement methods.
- 8(a) contracts cannot be protested.
5. It is a much faster contract award process.
- 8(a) contracts take about 1/10 the amount of time to be awarded compared to most other federal procurement methods.
6. 8(a) firms can form Joint Ventures and teams to bid on contracts.
- You will have the ability to perform larger prime contracts and overcome the effects of contract bundling, the combining of two or more contracts together into one large contract. Also through the SBA All Small Mentor Protege Program it will allow your firm to learn the ropes from other more experienced businesses.